I tried a few new pumpkin patterns since it is now Fall (my favorite time of year.)

The orange one is from a pattern called Lil Dollop Pumpkins.  It is free here. It is by Maria’s Blue Crayon. I used some old orange yarn I had that wasn’t very pliable.  I also ran out of it so I finished with a different shade.  I made the medium size. It is worked in a rectangle and then the ends are sewn together.  I like the texture of it and will make more with a softer yarn.

The two small pumpkins are crocheted but they are done to make them look knit. They are made with slip stitches. Even though they are small, they take some time since using the slip stitch doesn’t build the pattern very fast. The pattern is also free here.  The pattern is by Malloo knits.

The last one is called Spiral Pumpkin. It is free here.  It is designed by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts.  She used the new Caron X Pantone yarn by Yarnspirations. The yarn comes in a skein with 5 different colors looped togehter (they are separate mini skeins). Each set is $8 so a little spendy. I bought mine with a 50% off coupon at Michael’s. The yarn is amazing. It is so soft and nice to work with.  I ended up running short of my cream otherwise the pattern worked up great.  There are lots of color combinations that would be fun to do.

Blanket yarn again!

In August I finished a couple of more projects out of Bernat Blanket yarn.  When I saw the Eagle pattern, I had to buy it. It was so cute! The pattern actually uses 2 strands of worsted weight yarn held together so it is more ‘squatty’ then mine. I wanted to make it out of blanket yarn. I used a smaller crochet hook to get a tighter stitch. That made it harder and took me longer as my wrist got sore. I used a K hook.  Since I used different yarn than the pattern, I was careful as I made the pieces to make sure it looked ok.  I love how he turned out. The pattern is Spirit the Eagle Stuffie by Snappy Tots. You can purchase it on Ravelry here.

The teddy bear is made out of Bernat Blanket Tiny yarn.  I am not a fan of this yarn as it is hard to see the stitches because of the thinness of the yarn.  I had the red that I wanted to use up. I couldn’t return it because I had tried a few projects with it. I found this teddy bear pattern and decided to make it. It worked up pretty easily. I will probably make one or two more to use up the yarn.  I saw someone else use the plastic eyes and nose and liked how they turned out. The pattern has you stitch on the face and that doesn’t always go well for me.  The pattern is by Yarnspirations here.


These are a few gifts I made for family this summer.  I had a niece get married in May.  I made this doily as part of her wedding present.  When I first started crocheting, I did a lot in thread.  The last 10 years or so I haven’t done as much.  I forgot how much I enjoy making things out of thread.  This doily pattern was in an old Magic Crochet magazine from 1993. The designer is Lucille Laflamme. I used size 10 thread and  size 6 steel crochet hook. What is nice about the Magic Crochet patterns is that they start the pattern written out and then refer you to the diagram. I think they have some of the best designed diagrams for crocheting.

The cow and cactus were a birthday present for a different niece.  Both are free patterns.  The cow is called Cow Tipping Toy by NeedleNoodles. Here it is a link to the pattern. I did not include the noisemaker since my niece was turning 21. I didn’t think she needed it 🙂  I enjoyed the pattern and liked how they had you work the legs. It is a nice small project

Cactus are popular right now.  This cactus is a free pattern from Yarnspirations. I used cotton yarn and it worked up quickly.  It is nice that you make soil for it so it just sets in the pot.  You don’t have to try and have the soil top attach to the clay pot.


Bernat Blanket Stripes

As you know I love Bernat Blanket yarn. Sarah at RepeatCrafterMe posted an afghan pattern using the blanket stripes. I loved the stitch and how the changes in colors looked like steps.  You can find the free pattern here.

I mentally have a hard time making afghans. They take time to start and then you work on it and don’t seem to see progress.  Then, all of a sudden, the end is in sight! This past week I finally saw the end of this afghan and was very motivated to finish it.  The pattern uses an I hook which is a little small for the thickness of the yarn.  I had to work on it slowly because of that as my wrist got sore.  I ended up using 5 cakes of By The Sea stripes. I had some left over to make the tassels on it.

I loved the color combinations and did enjoy making it. Now to get my other WIP’s finished.